Tropical Storm Elsa Grows A Bit Stronger; Part Of Florida Keys Remain Under Tropical Storm Warning – CBS Miami
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Tropical Storm Elsa has grown a bit stronger and is expected to hit land in central Cuba on Monday afternoon as part of the Florida Keys remains in a tropical storm warning.
At 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, Elsa was 265 miles east southeast of Cayo Largo, Cuba and 270 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. The maximum sustained winds rose from 60 to 65 mph with higher gusts as they moved toward the northwest near 25 mph.
CONTINUE READING: Surfside Condo Collapse: The remaining Champlain Towers South building imploded due to safety concerns
This general movement is expected to continue through Monday, followed by a turn towards the north-northwest on Tuesday.
On the forecast track, the center of Elsa is approaching southern central Cuba early Monday. Elsa is expected to roam central and western Cuba on Monday and head towards Florida Straits and pass near the Florida Keys early Tuesday. Elsa is then expected to move near or over parts of the west coast of Florida on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Before Elsa moves across Cuba, additional strengthening is expected, followed by some weakening as the center moves across land. A slight reinforcement is possible after Elsa has moved across the southeastern Gulf of Mexico.
Winds with tropical storm strength extend up to 130 km from the center outwards.
CONTINUE READING: Pursuit of Tropical Storm Elsa: Warnings extended along Florida’s west coast
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND APPLICABLE WARNINGS:
A Hurricane warning applies to:
- Cuban provinces of Cienfuegos and Matanzas.
A Hurricane clock applies to:
- The Cuban province of Camagüey.
A Tropical storm warning applies to:
- The Cuban provinces of Camagüey, Ciego de Avila, Sancti Spiritus, Villa Clara, Mayabeque and Havana
- The Florida Keys from Craig Key west to the Dry Tortugas
A Storm surge clock applies to:
- Florida west coast from Bonita Beach to the Suwannee River
A Tropical storm clock applies to:
MORE NEWS: Key Biscayne takes action after a video on social media shows a crack in the ceiling of the condominium’s parking garage
- Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
- The Cuban province of Artemisa
- The Florida Keys from east of Craig Key to the Ocean Reef
- Florida Bay
- West coast of Florida from Flamingo northwards to the Anclote River