January 2021 Miami Restaurant Openings and Closings
Support the independent voice of Miami and help keep the future of the New Times free.
Although it may only be symbolic, a new year generally heralds the promise of change and a fresh start. Despite the ongoing pandemic, January 2021 was no exception on the local food scene as a number of notable restaurants opened in Miami.
New York red sauce sensation Carbone opened in Miami Beach, while a South Beach favorite, Red South Beach, got a new home.
Unfortunately, South Florida has lost two famous restaurants – at least for now. Mia-Kai, which was temporarily closed in October, is now for sale, although the family who owned the Polynesian-themed venue are hoping to keep it alive. And the News Cafe, a longtime Ocean Drive employee, closed in January. Although the restaurant is boarded up, the cafe’s owners promise to reopen at some point.
In February we can look forward to some special restaurants including Abba Telavivian Kitchen by Omer Horev and Samuel Gorenstein and Chelas Beer Garden Pop-up in Miami Lakes.
Maü Miami in Midtown Miami has a Tulum vibe.
Photo by Julia Rose
- 8Street Brickell. 88 SW Eighth St., Miami; 305-433-0577; 8streetbrickell.com.
- Azucar ice cream. 8845 SW 72nd Pl., Miami; 786-814-5596; azucaricecream.com.
- Baia Beach Club. 1100 West Ave., Miami Beach; 305-514-1949; baiabeachclubmiami.com.
- BoyChoy. 300 S. Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-489-1000; boychoy.com
- Cafe Oriental. 9800 SW 77th Ave., Miami; 786-294-3101; cafe-oriental.square.site.
- Carrots Express. 8880 SW 72 .. Pl., Miami; eatcarrotexpress.com.
- Carbone Miami. 49 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach; carbonemiami.com.
- European summer time. 33 Thai Craft Brewery and Cuisine. Brickell City Center, 701 S. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-374-7535; est33.us.
- Jeepney and Tita Baby are at 1-800-Lucky. 143 NW 23rd St., Miami; 1800Lucky.com.
- Ke-uh. 17875 Collins Ave. (at Acqualina Resort), Sunny Isles Beach; 305-918-8000; Acqualinaresort.com.
- Mr. Omakase. 163 SE First St., Miami; mromakase.com.
- Mr. & Mrs. Bun. 8975 SW 72nd Pl., Miami; mrandmrsbun.com.
- Maü Miami. 3252 Midtown Blvd., Miami; 786-797-8164; mau.miami.
- Water hole. 851 S. Miami Ave .; Ojodeaguagroup.com.
- Red south beach. 801 South Pointe Dr. # Cu-1, Miami Beach, 305-534-3688; redsobe.com.
- Salvaje. 101 NE 34th St .; Miami; miami.salvaje.world/cocina.
- Sufrat. 10450 Pines Blvd., Pembroke Pines; 954-998-1049; sufratgrill.com.
- Uchi. 252 NW 25th St., Miami; uchimiami.com.
Thanks for the scantily clad good times, Mai-Kai
Photo courtesy of Mai-Kai
Mauricio Lacayo (left), Julio Cabrera and Daniel Gonzalez open Chela’s Mexican beer garden in Miami Lakes.
Photo by Laine Doss
- Abba Telavivian Kitchen – Coming to SoFi
- Afishionado – Jeremy Ford opens seafood restaurant
- Angelo Elia Pizza Bar – Opening in the Aventura ParkSquare
- The Baked Bear – Coming to Wynwood and Sawgrass Mills
- Barbakoa – Eileen Andrade opens a restaurant in Doral Yard
- Benh Mi – opening soon
- Biscayne Bay Brewing – Opening a location in downtown Miami
- Bonci – Roman style pizza to open at Cube Wynwood
- Botanico Gin – opening in CocoWalk
- Brasamasa – Opening in downtown Miami
- Ceiba – Mead is coming to Miami
- Champion Burger – Coyo Taco’s new burger concept
- Chelas Beer Garden – Opening in Miami Lakes
- Cote – Michelin-starred Korean steakhouse opens in Miami
- Delray Beach Market – Massive Food Hall opening soon
- Dogfish Head – opening in the former Concrete Beach Space
- Esmé Miami Beach – Opening March 2021.
- Esplanade at Aventura – New dining and shopping complex in Aventura with Jarana and more
- Firestone Garage – Three concepts under one roof from Groot Hospitality
- Gramps 2 – opening soon
- Gramps by the Sea – opening 2021
- Icebox Cafe – opening in the falls
- Ironside Bakery – Fresh bread is coming to Miami
- Lan Halo Halo Snack Shack – Halo Halo is coming to Miami
- Los Chinos – Opening in Brickell city center
Los Felix and Krus Kitchen – Both open in Coconut Grove
- The Loyal – New York Brasserie is coming to Miami
- Luca Osteria – Giorgio Rapicavoli opens an Italian concept
- Man vs. Fries – virtual concept will open soon
- Margot – Bar Lab Opens Wine Bar In Downtown Miami (Pop-Up Now Open)
- Marlins Park Beer Garden – The baseball stadium gets a beer garden
- Moxy Hotel South Beach – Opening February
- Off Site – Steve Santana (Taquiza) and Adam Darnell (Boxelder) open a nano brewery in Little Haiti
- Osteria Morini – Opening at the Kimpton Hotel Palomar
- Pura Vida – opening in West Palm Beach
- Sexy Fish – opening in Brickell
- Shoma Bazaar – Opening of the food hall in Doral
- Sky Yard Rooftop + Bar – Opening at Lincoln Eatery
- South Beach Brewing Company – opening soon
- Sushi Garage – opening in CocoWalk
- Sweetgreen – Healthy Chain Opens Locations in Miami
- Tobacco Road – Brickell pop-up opening
- Trader Joe’s – Sources say a location is opening in Coral Gables
- Tropezon – Tapas Bar opening in South Beach
- True Food Kitchen – Health-oriented restaurant and bar opening at the waterfalls
- Whole Foods Market – Proposed megastore in Sunset Harbor and new locations in Fort Lauderdale
- Yeasty Brews – New brewery that celebrates the fermentation process
Keep The Miami New Times Free … Since we started the Miami New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Miami, and we want it to stay that way. We offer our readers free access to concise coverage of local news, food and culture. Produce stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands with bold reporting, stylish writing, and staff everything from the Society of Professional Journalists’ Sigma Delta Chi Feature Writing Award to the Casey Medal for the Deservable Journalism have won. Given that the existence of local journalism amid siege and setbacks has a greater impact on advertising revenue, it is more important than ever for us to raise support for funding our local journalism. You can help by joining our I Support membership program which allows us to continue to cover Miami without paywalls.
Laine Doss is the food and liquor editor for the Miami New Times. It was featured on Eat Street by Cooking Channel and in the Great Food Truck Race by Food Network. She won an Alternative Weekly Award for her contribution on what it’s like to wait for tables.